Wednesday, January 23, 2008

At College

IMG_8715
Early morning view across one of the lakes at the University of Queensland

Pandanus IMG_8729
Giant pandanus along the path by the lakes

Finally, the move has been made. I am now in Brisbane.

The colleges are on the western perimeter of the lakes, which are just a part of a more extensive parkland which surrounds the south-west of the university as it bords the river. In the morning I walk amongst immense tropical trees to the ferry, with birds foraging: ibis, geese, moorhens, coots, corellas, a brush turkey and a willy-wagtail. In the evening they are settling down, with much noise, to roost. And as I take my swim in the pool under the darkening sky, the sound of screaming birds from the trees above the pool is remarkably soothing, and not unlike the evening shrill of cicadas on a Sydney summer evening.

So, however stressed I am by making this move, I have a wonderfully calming start and finish to each day. All I have to do is hang in.

2 comments:

HappyHobbit said...

I really like that lake view photo. Good to see you made the move ok, and have even found a nice place for a relaxing swim. I must say that i really enjoyed the ferry trip the few times I made it last year - much more enjoyable and relaxing than a bus or train
:-) Best wishes...

Merricks said...

Thanks, happyhobbit.
It's a stunningly beautiful place.