Thursday, January 3, 2008

Disheartenment & Casuarina cones

Casuarina cones IMG_7912
Casuarina cones

Forest Oak (Allocasuarina torulosa)
plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&am...

At the moment, I am feeling quite dispirited with my project of photographing and identifying plants that I see.

When I look at the thread for identified plants in the What plant is that? group, it seems my requests and IDs outweigh by far those of any other person, despite my having discovered Flickr only in September.

My incapacity to look, my failure to capture the critical details of the plant, and my continued ignorance of botanical nomenclature, together with the fear of attempting to key a plant out from the very beginning as one must on PlantNet(without being able to come in at it halfway through as one can to some extent using a text book) currently overwhelm me.

Anyway, should anyone be interested in making an attempt to differentiate casuarinas, to calibrate the measure of my despair and to witness the various interactions of the Flickr plant community, double click on the image of the casuarina cones.

No comments: