Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Web

Mangroves at QUT IMG_3743
Mangroves on the flood tide. QUT.

Cassia javanica IMG_3768
Cassia javanica. The Women's College.

New Leaves IMG_3722
Leopard tree with new leaves. The Women's College.

It is an amazing new world. This morning, still pursuing documentation for my flower and plant photos, I was pointed to the EOL (Encyclopaedia of Life) site. It is still extremely rudimentary. But it plans to point to all the various pieces of documentation about a species. Australian plants don't yet exist. But where there are entries, they look pretty good. Check it out.

It took me to the BioDiversity Heritage Library site, which appears to be putting up every journal/book that has been published since people started naming plants and animals. They are making available the facsimiles for us to read, and using optical readers to index every text. Again, they scarcely seem to have touched Antipodean stuff but perhaps I am expecting too much. But check out this Joseph Banks publication.

The photos are of the mangroves this morning on the flood tide at QUT, the beautiful new bronze tiny feathered leaves of the leopard tree, and of the Cassia which has come into greater bloom since I first saw it a few days ago. The masked lapwing is still sitting on her second set of eggs (I think it's a least two weeks and if I don't see chicks on Friday morning then I won't see them at all this year, since I'm off down to Sydney on Friday.) Her bloke came up to protect her when I took her photograph, so it's not all as solo as at times it has appeared.

No comments: