Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lily?

IMG_3540
Common as dirt. And lovely. And I don't know what it is. (UQ)

I wasn't a fan of my photos today. But I did like the stamens of this. One of the things I like about taking photos of flowers is that I generally need to magnify the image and in doing so, I see in the photo what I don't see when I just look. So here, when I see these normally, I see the ragged flower, but today I saw the stamens standing quite free of the flower. And the parts with all the pollen are hanging quite vertically, yet the flower itself is all over the place.

And the paperbark flower below, seen carelessly, looks something like a bottle brush, but when you see it up close, what an amazing structure it has.


Paperbark. UQ.

2 comments:

ClemmieInChina said...

beautiful pictures :). (not the most original of comments, but at least it's true.)

Merricks said...

Thanks, Clemmie for enjoying them.
I've now been nearly a year here in Brisbane, and I am repeating my photos. If I photographed a tree in flower last year, I photograph it again this year. For I still find it beautiful.