Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Crabs & Flickr

Red-fingered Marsh Crab IMG_7738
Red-fingered Marsh Crab (Sesarma erythrodactyla)

Semaphore crab IMG_7730
Adult male semaphore crab (Heloecius cordiformis)

Juvenile semaphore crabs IMG_7724
Juvenile semaphore crabs (Heloecius cordiformis)

After years of using the Internet and thinking it was well and truly over-hyped, I have finally discovered its wonders.

I wander out with my camera and see things which I had never before bothered to notice. I post their photos to Flickr and always there is someone there who has the generosity, kindness and knowledge to identify the pretty things I have brought home.

So here are three pictures, collected on my visit to Patonga Creek, identified by a lady living in the US who is nuts and knowledgeable about crabs. Identified within just a few hours.

And the story is the same for my botanical specimens: no sooner do I post an unidentified plant, than answers are supplied, by an army of generous and knowledgeable people. And I wonder about their demographic. Are they, like me, superannuated baby-boomers, enjoying the community provided by this amazing web?

No comments: