Monday, July 25, 2011

Jury duty

Diana IMG_5319
Diana (one of the figures in the Archibald fountain in Hyde Park)

Apollo IMG_5322
Phoebus Apollo

Theseus IMG_5323
Theseus killing the minotaur

The pool IMG_5305
The pool in front of the Shrine of Remembrance

Today, I was called up for jury duty. I went armed with a medical certificate. I find it pretty extraordinary that at the age of 68, I am apparently required to do a nearly 4 hour daily commute and 5 days a week work where I may not move, eat or shit, except at the behest of the court. I argued that it would exacerbate existing health conditions and that I should not be called up again for the remainder of my life.

My doctor thought I was not a very upstanding citizen, but then her commute to town is probably less than an hour, and neither is she currently unemployed... (I would prefer to spend the immediate future in finding a part-time job after completing my Ph.D., rather than ruining my health in the service of the state.)

The photographs are taken on my walk through Hyde Park after my dismissal.

2 comments:

Badger said...

They call up dead people for jury duty - why not 68 year old people?

Merricks said...

Spot on, Badger. I like your take.