Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Centennial Park

Moreton Bay Fig IMG_3820
Fig in Centennial Park to commemorate the old man and mum.

Nearby lake IMG_3848
Nearby lake

island IMG_3829
And another nearby lake, on the other side of the road.

Fig & island IMG_3834
Looking at the island through another Moreton Bay Fig.

Went today to inspect the fig I organised last year to remember the parents. Their ashes were scattered in the sea near the Whale Beach pool, but apart from a cabinet in Janie's museum in Charles Darwin University, there is nothing which commemorates them. I tried to organise a bench, but that was not possible in Pittwater. The tree I chose was a Moreton Bay Fig which will hopefully live for many years in Centennial Park.

The Centennial Park authorities are determined that the plaques should not be commemorative, so the plaque simply names them: James & Elizabeth Donald.

(And I have a very small place in the history of this tree planting exercise. I was the first person to ask for and to pay for a tree in instalments.)

2 comments:

HappyHobbit said...

That's really lovely M. Next time I visit Centennial Park I will go looking for that special tree. X S.

Merricks said...

Hi Sarah, I think I will need to show you where it is, although I have tried to mark it meaningfully on the Flickr map. (You need to click on the photo in the blog to find it in Flickr and then look to the right for the georeferencing...)